- Windows Vista or superior (XP is not supported because the version of the .NET Framework used is not offered by Microsoft)
- Excel 2007 or superior (the Excel add-in uses the ribbon UI, first available on this Excel version)
The following is the step-by-step installation guide for the commercial version: alternatively, you may want to watch how to register a free-trial, login and create a SecGroup.
During the subscription to use The Secure Spreadsheet, you have created a login/password to access the account of the subscription:
You will also receive an email containing links to the installation files, that must be installed in the following order:
- NET_Framework_4_5_1.exe: installer of the minimum version of the .NET Framework needed to run The Secure Spreadsheet. You may have a higher version already installed on your computer. Alternatively, you may download this file from Microsoft servers.
- VSTO_Runtime.exe (Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime): Needed to run the Excel add-in. Some computers that already use Excel add-ins may already have it installed. Alternatively, you may download this file from Microsoft servers.
- SecCompRibbon.msi: Installer of The Secure Spreadsheet. Install it on a subdirectory without spaces (vg. C:\Seccomp). (SHA256: 4ffb1cc1e28e98ab8c4fa68c8d989854f0cce7a5fa7c06b1eacef10586a667c0). Accept all security warnings from Windows User Account Control (Windows UAC) during installation.
After installation, you may receive a security warning when Excel is opened: just accept it.
Your local anti-virus may also complain about the recently installed software, or while running a secure computation for the first time: ports 443/446 are used and any connections from/to said ports must be allowed.
To run any secure computation, you must first identify yourself to the Calctopia servers: Security Groups (SecGroups) are established to exchange the IP address of the participants. The login procedure uses some of the most widely used federated identity providers (Microsoft/LinkedIn/Google/Twitter/Facebook).
As shown in the previous animation, after login with the account of your subscription:
In case you may have any problem during installation, open a ticket.